Alonzo earned a full scholarship to college which he credits to his mother's self-sacrifice.
An example of self-sacrifice is when you go without your morning latte so you can donate that amount of money to charity instead.
- The giving up of one's own benefit, especially giving up one's life, for the good of others.
- His brave self-sacrifice won him a posthumous medal, but I think he'd have preferred to receive it in person.
self- +"Ž sacrifice
- At the end of the Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit characters are highly regarded by the other races for their courageous self-sacrifice.
- It is reasonable with her in high school and you in college, this kind of self-sacrifice would be too much to expect.
- He was brought up in an atmosphere of hard work, of moral discipline, and (after his father's death in 1811) of that wholesome self-sacrifice which is a condition of life for those who are poor in money and rich in spirit.
- For just as there is no self-realization which does not involve self-sacrifice, so there is no room for that species of egoism within the confines of morality which is incompatible with social service.
- Anniceris, in whose thought the school reached its highest perfection, declared that true pleasure consists sometimes in self-sacrifice and that sympathy in enjoyment is a real source of happiness.