- belief in oneself; self-respect
- undue pride in oneself; conceit
Naomi got a boost in her self esteem when she realized how successful her flower shop had become.
To foster positive self esteem in teenagers, it is important for parents to enjoy spending time with them and showing them that they are a valued part of the family.
When you feel good about yourself and think you are a person of value, this is an example of a situation where you have good self-esteem.
- For other children, however, being ignored or rejected by peers may be a lasting problem that has lifelong consequences, such as a dislike for school, poor self-esteem, social withdrawal, and difficulties with adult relationships.
- However, in all circumstances, it is essential to gear activities to the proper intellectual and physical level of each person while ensuring a positive result and promoting feelings of success and improved self-esteem.
- Fitting in with their peers becomes more important than ever to their self-esteem, and, in later adolescence, relationships with the opposite sex (or sometimes the same sex) can become a major source of confidence or insecurity.
- If you are fed up with thinking you are going to become fat and undesirable every time you indulge in a chip, cookie or piece of candy, then this bestseller may be just what you need to boost your self-esteem.
- Even when treated, rape and sexual assault can cause poor self-esteem, sexual dysfunction and impaired sexual and personal relations, insomnia, anxiety, eating disorders, and other psychological symptoms that last into adulthood.