- plural form of security
securities - Investment & Finance Definition
Financial instruments such as stocks, bonds, futures, or options contracts. Securities may be traded on organized exchanges or on over-the-counter exchanges.
securities - Legal Definition
Variant of security
- the state of being or feeling secure; freedom from fear, anxiety, danger, doubt, etc.; state or sense of safety or certainty
- something that gives or assures safety, tranquillity, certainty, etc.; protection; safeguard
- protection or defense against attack, interference, espionage, etc.: funds for national security
- protection or defense against escape: a maximum-security prison
- procedures to provide such protection or defense
- an organization or department whose task is protection or safety, esp. a private police force hired to patrol or guard a building, park, or other area: if you see an intruder, call security
- something given as a pledge of repayment, fulfillment of a promise, etc.; guarantee
- a person who agrees to make good the failure of another to pay, perform a duty, etc.; surety
- any evidence of debt or ownership; esp., a stock certificate or bond: usually used in pl.
Origin of securityMiddle English securite ; from Classical Latin securitas ; from securus: see secure