- The definition of a secretary is a person who does administrative work such as making appointments and sending letters, or is an official who is in charge of a government department.
- A person who answers your phone and makes copies for you at your job is an example of your secretary.
- A person in a club who writes down the minutes of meetings and who sends out letters to club members is an example of a secretary.
- The person in charge of the U.S. Treasury Department, the Secretary of the Treasury, is an exampleof a secretary.
A secretary on the phone.
- a person whose work is keeping records, taking care of correspondence and other writing tasks, etc. as for an individual in a business office
- an officer of a company, club, etc. having somewhat similar functions
- ☆ an official in charge of a department of government
- a writing desk, esp. one topped with a small bookcase
Origin of secretaryMedieval Latin secretarius, one entrusted with secrets ; from Classical Latin secretum: see secret
- A person employed to handle correspondence, keep files, and do clerical work for another person or an organization.
- An officer who keeps records, takes minutes of the meetings, and answers correspondence, as for a company.
- An official who presides over an administrative department of state.
- A desk with a small bookcase on top.
Origin of secretaryMiddle English secretarie, from Medieval Latin sēcrētārius, confidential officer, clerk, from Latin sēcrētus, secret; see Secret .
c. 1800 American Hepplewhite secretary attributed to Michael Allison (1773–1855)
- (obsolete) Someone entrusted with a secret; a confidant.
- A person who keeps records, takes notes and handles general clerical work.
- (often capitalized) The head of a department of government.
- A managerial or leading position in certain non-profit organizations, such as political parties, trade unions, international organizations.
- Ban Ki-Moon is the current secretary general of the United Nations.
- (US) A type of desk, secretary desk; a secretaire.
- A species of bird; Sagittarius serpentarius.
(third-person singular simple present secretaries, present participle secretarying, simple past and past participle secretaried)
- To serve as a secretary of.
secretary - Legal Definition