Scientific method is a well documented, carefully controlled experiment that applies logic, order, and critical thinking skills to solving problems and finding new information.
Steps to the Scientific Method
- Ask a question to define the problem or issue you wish to resolve.
- Do background research to learn what others have discovered about your topic.
- Construct a hypothesis to determine how you think your questions should be answered.
- Test your hypothesis by conducting an experiment.
- Analyze the data you have collected during the experiment.
- Formulate a conclusion based on your research and the data you’ve gathered from your experiment.
- Communicate your results to others who have an interest in the topic.
An example of scientific method is a very detailed step by step list of what must be considered and done when changing a lightbulb.
(plural scientific methods) (generally referred to in the definite, as the scientific method)
- scientific methodology