- Present participle of scavenge.
- The act of searching through refuse for useful material.
- Our scavengings at the rubbish dump often yielded items of value.
Variant of scavenge
transitive verbscavenged, scavenging
- to clean up (streets, alleys, etc.); remove rubbish, dirt, or garbage from
- to salvage (usable goods) by rummaging through refuse or discards
- to remove burned gases from (the cylinder of an internal-combustion engine)
- Metallurgy to clean (molten metal) by using a substance that will combine chemically with the impurities present
Origin of scavengeback-formation ; from scavenger
- to act as a scavenger
- to look for food