- any of several very smooth, hard woods used in fine furniture, marquetry, veneers, etc.
- any of a number of trees yielding such a wood; esp.,
- the (Chloroxylon swietenia) of the rue family
- the (Zanthoxylum flavum) of the rue family
See satinwood in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- A deciduous tree (Chloroxylon swietenia) of India and Sri Lanka, having hard, yellowish, close-grained wood.
- A West Indian tree (Zanthoxylum flavum) having smooth, slightly oily, lustrous wood.
- The wood of either of these trees, used for furniture and cabinetwork.
Learn more about satinwood