- any of several very smooth, hard woods used in fine furniture, marquetry, veneers, etc.
- any of a number of trees yielding such a wood; esp.,
- the East Indian satinwood (Chloroxylon swietenia) of the rue family
- the West Indian satinwood (Zanthoxylum flavum) of the rue family
- A deciduous tree (Chloroxylon swietenia) of South Asia, having hard, yellowish, close-grained wood.
- A West Indian tree (Zanthoxylum flavum) having smooth, slightly oily, lustrous wood.
- Any of several other trees having similar wood.
- The wood of any of these trees, used for furniture and cabinetwork.
(countable and uncountable, plural satinwoods)