- The definition of atlas is a book of maps or some type of information that includes pictures and/or tables and charts.
An example of an atlas is a collection of road maps detailing each of the 50 states.
A statue of the titan Atlas.
atlas definition by Webster's New World
- Gr. Myth. a Titan compelled to support the heavens on his shoulders
- any person who carries a great burden
- a book of maps: Atlas supporting the earth was often pictured on the front page of such books
- a book of tables, charts, illustrations, etc. on a specific subject or subjects: an anatomical atlas
- Anat. the topmost vertebra of the neck
- Archit. atlantes
Origin: Classical Latin ; from Classical Greek ; from prothetic a- plush tlan, bearing ; from Indo-European base an unverified form tel-, an unverified form tla-, to lift, bear from source tolerate, thole
atlas definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. at·las·es
- A book or bound collection of maps, sometimes with supplementary illustrations and graphic analyses.
- A volume of tables, charts, or plates that systematically illustrates a particular subject: an anatomical atlas.
- A large size of drawing paper, measuring 26 × 33 or 26 × 34 inches.
Origin: After Atlas, probably from depictions of him holding the world on his shoulders that appeared on the frontispieces of early works of this kind.
noun pl. at·las·es
- pl. at·lan·tes Architecture A standing or kneeling figure of a man used as a supporting column, as for an entablature or balcony.
- Anatomy The top or first cervical vertebra of the neck, which supports the skull.
Origin: From Atlas.
- Greek Mythology A Titan condemned by Zeus to support the heavens upon his shoulders.
- A satellite of Saturn.
- atlas A person who supports a great burden.
Origin: Greek; see telə- in Indo-European roots.
atlas - Computer Definition
atlas - Cultural Definition
A bound collection of maps. Atlases are named after the Greek god Atlas.
- Since the sixteenth century, pictures of Atlas and his burden have been used as decorations on maps. Accordingly, the word atlas is used for a book of maps.
- An “Atlas” or “atlas” is an incredibly strong person or one who carries an enormous burden.
atlas - Medical Definition
Variant of atlantes
Origin: Classical Latin ; from Classical Greek Atlantes, plural of Atlas