- (historical) The name of the Russian state from 1721 to 1917
Variant of Russia
- former empire (1547-1917) in E Europe & N Asia, ruled by the czars: cap. St. Petersburgin full Russian Empire
- loosely the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics
- Russian Soviet Federated Socialist Republic, esp. the European part
- country in E Europe and N Asia, stretching from the Baltic Sea to the Pacific & from the Arctic Ocean to the Chinese border: formerly the Russian Soviet Federated Socialist Republic, established as a country in 1991 upon the breakup of the U.S.S.R.: 6,592,844 sq mi (17,075,400 sq km); pop. 148,022,000; cap. Moscowofficial name Russian Federation
Origin of Russia; from Russian Rus'