of Russia or its people, language, or culture
- a person born or living in Russia
- loosely any citizen of the U.S.S.R.
- a member of the chief Slavic people of Russia
- the East Slavic language of the Russians
- Of or relating to Russia or its people, language, or culture.
- Of or relating to the former Soviet Union.
- a. A native or inhabitant of Russia.b. A person of Russian ancestry.c. A native or inhabitant of the former Soviet Union.
- The East Slavic language of the Russians, used as the official language of Russia and widely as a second language within the Commonwealth of Independent States.
Origin of RussianMedieval Latin Russianus, from Old Russian Rus&ibreve;, Vikings, Rus, from Old Norse *r&omacron;dhs(menn) or r&omacron;dhs(karlar), seafarers, from r&omacron;dhr, rowing; see er&schwa;- in Indo-European roots.