- yellowish brown or reddish brown
- a coarse homespun cloth, reddish-brown or brownish, formerly used for clothing by country people
- a winter apple with a rough, mottled skin
Origin: ME < OFr rousset, dim. of rous < L russus, reddish < IE *rudhso- < base *reudh-, red
- yellowish-brown or reddish-brown
- made of russet (cloth)
- Archaic rustic, simple, etc.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A moderate to strong brown.
- A coarse reddish-brown to brown homespun cloth.
- A winter apple with a rough reddish-brown skin.
- A russet Burbank.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French rousset, from rous, red, from Latin russus; see reudh- in Indo-European roots.