- Lacking a roof.
- Having no home or shelter; homeless or destitute.
- Without a roof, open to the sky.
- Before the tornado we had a dining room with a skylight; after it we had a roofless home with too much ventilation.
Variant of roof
- the outside top covering of a building
- figuratively, a house or home
- the top or peak of anything: the roof of the world
- anything like a roof in position or use: the roof of the mouth
Origin of roofMiddle English rof ; from Old English hrof, akin to Old Norse roof, shed ; from Indo-European base an unverified form rapo- from source Old Church Slavonic stropŭ, roof
to provide or cover with or as with a roof
raise the roofSlang
- to be very noisy, as in applause, anger, celebration, etc.
- to complain loudly