Variant of relay
- a fresh supply of dogs, horses, etc. kept in readiness to relieve others in a hunt, on a journey, etc.
- a crew of workers relieving others at work; shift
- relay race
- any of the legs, or laps, of a relay race
- an act or instance of conveying or transmitting by or as by relays
- Electronics an electromagnetic or electronic switching device activated by a signal and usually used to control a large current or to activate another device or circuit
Origin of relayMiddle English relai ; from Middle French relais, plural , origin, originally , hounds kept as reserves at points along the course of a hunt ; from relaier, to leave behind ; from re- (see re-) + laier, to leave, let: see delay