- Rationalism is the practice of only believing what is based on reason.
An example of rationalism is not believing in the supernatural.
- the principle or practice of accepting reason as the only authority in determining one's opinions or course of action
- Philos. the doctrine that knowledge comes from the intellect in itself without aid from the senses; intellectualism
Origin: rational plush -ism
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Reliance on reason as the best guide for belief and action.
- Philosophy The theory that the exercise of reason, rather than experience, authority, or spiritual revelation, provides the primary basis for knowledge.
- raˈtion·al·ist noun
- raˌtion·al·isˈtic adjective
- raˌtion·al·isˈti·cal·ly adverb