Variant of qualify
- to describe by giving the qualities or characteristics of
- to make fit for an office, occupation, exercise of a right, etc.
- to make legally capable; give a specific right to; license
- to modify; restrict; limit; make less positive: to qualify one's approval
- to moderate; soften: to qualify a punishment
- to change the strength or flavor of (a liquid, etc.)
- Gram. to limit or modify the meaning of (a word or group of words)
Origin: Fr qualifier from Midieval Latin qualificare from Classical Latin qualis, of what kind (see quale) plush facere, to make, do
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.