Provençal[prō′vən säl′, präv′ən-; Fr prō̂ vän sȧl′]
of Provence or its people, language, or culture
Origin of ProvençalFrench
- the vernacular of S France, a Romance language comprising several dialects
- the medieval language of S France, a literary language as cultivated by the troubadours
- a person born or living in Provence
Of or relating to Provence or its people, language, or culture.
- The Romance language traditionally spoken in Southern France, including many distinct regional dialects. Also called Occitan.
- The dialect of Provençal spoken in Provence, in contrast to those spoken in the other parts of southern France.
- pl. Pro·ven·çals or Pro·ven·çaux A native or inhabitant of Provence.
Origin of ProvencalFrench, from Latin prōvinciālis, from prōvincia, province.