Provençal[prō′vən säl′, präv′ən-; Fr prō̂ vän sȧl′]
Provençal definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
of Provence or its people, language, or culture
- the vernacular of S France, a Romance language comprising several dialects
- the medieval language of S France, a literary language as cultivated by the troubadours
- a person born or living in Provence
Provençal definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Of or relating to Provence or its people, language, or culture.noun
- The Romance language of Provence.
- pl. Pro·ven·çals or Pro·ven·çaux A native or inhabitant of Provence.
Origin: French, from Latin prōvinciālis, from prōvincia, province.