the act or practice of prostituting, or the fact of being prostituted; esp., the trade of a prostitute
Origin of prostitutionEcclesiastical Late Latin prostitutio
- a. The practice of engaging in sex acts in exchange for money.b. The criminal offense of engaging in or offering to engage in sex in exchange for money.
- The practice of offering oneself or using one's talents for an unworthy purpose, especially for personal gain.
- Engaging in sexual activity with another person in exchange for compensation, such as money or other valuable goods.
- Her addiction brought her to the point that prostitution was the only means she had to survive.
- (by extension) Debasement for unworthy profit or motives.
- The television advertising job was a prostitution of the talents of one of the great writers of the century.
prostitution - Legal Definition
- Engaging in sexual activity for compensation.
- Lowering in value, dignity, class, and so on.