Fornication is defined as sexual intercourse between unmarried partners.
An example of fornication is sexual intercourse between an unmarried man and an unmarried woman.
- voluntary sexual intercourse between persons not married to each other
- any unlawful sexual intercourse, including adultery
- worship of idols
Origin of fornicationMiddle English fornicacioun ; from Old French fornication ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin fornicatio ; from fornicatus: see fornicate
Sexual intercourse between people who are not married to each other, especially when considered as a sin.
- sexual intercourse, especially on the part of an unmarried person.
- (law) The act of such illicit sexual intercourse between a man and a woman which does not by law amount to adultery.
- 1604 I am the sister of one Claudio, Condemn'd upon the act of fornication To lose his head; condemn'd by Angelo — Shakespeare, Measure for Measure, Act 5, Scene 1
- 1611 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. — Galatians 5:19-21 KJV
fornication - Legal Definition
Consensual sex between two individuals not married to one another.