- The definition of adultery is sexual intercourse by a married person with someone other than his or her spouse.
Tiger Woods is an example of someone who committed adultery.
Origin of adulteryClassical Latin adulterium ; from adulter: see adulterate
Origin of adulteryMiddle English, from Old French adultere, from Latin adulterium, from adulter, adulterer; see adulterate.
- Sexual intercourse by a married person with someone other than their spouse.
- She engaged in adultery because her spouse has a low libido, while hers is very high.
- (biblical) Lewdness or unchastity of thought as well as act, as forbidden by the seventh commandment.
- (biblical) Faithlessness in religion.
- (ecclesiastical) The intrusion of a person into a bishopric during the life of the bishop.
From the Old French scholarly form adultere (“violation of conjugal faith”) (in Bernard of Clairvaux, Sermons, 12c.), from Latin adulterium, from adulter. Replaced the older form avoutrie, from the popular Old French forms avouterie or aoulterie. Compare French adultère (“adultery”). Old English word was æwbryce (“breach of lawful marriage”).
adultery - Legal Definition