- Present participle of prize.
- (philosophy) The act or state of prizing something, valuing it highly.
Variant of prize
transitive verbprized, prizing
- Obsolete to set a value upon; price
- to value highly; esteem
Origin of prizeMiddle English pris: see price
- something offered or given to the winner of a contest
- something won in a game of chance, lottery, etc.
- a reward, premium, or the like
- anything worth striving for; any enviable or highly valued possession
- Archaic a contest or match
- that has received a prize: a prize novel
- worthy of a prize; first-rate
- given as a prize