The definition of a praetorian is someone with the authority of an ancient Roman bodyguard.
A member of the ancient Roman Praetorian Guard is an example of a praetorian.
- of a praetor
- [oftenP-] of or having to do with the bodyguard (Praetorian Guard) of a Roman commander or emperor
- a man with the rank of a praetor, or an ex-praetor
- [oftenP-] a member of the Praetorian Guard
- Of or relating to a praetor or the praetorship.
- Praetorian Of or belonging to the Praetorian Guard.
- Venal; corruptible: “A large praetorian bureaucracy, filled with ambitious, possessive … and often sycophantic people, makes work and makes trouble” ( Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. )
- A praetor or ex-praetor.
- Praetorian A member of the Praetorian Guard.
- A praetor