pottery definition by Webster's New World
- a place where earthenware is made; potter's workshop or factory
- the art or occupation of a potter; ceramics
- pots, bowls, dishes, etc. made of clay hardened by heat; earthenware
Origin: Late Middle English poterye ; from Middle French poterie ; from potier, potter ; from pot, pot
pottery definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. pot·ter·ies
- Ware, such as vases, pots, bowls, or plates, shaped from moist clay and hardened by heat.
- The craft or occupation of a potter.
- The place where a potter works.
Origin: French poterie, from Old French, from potier, potter, from pot, pot; see potiche.