- a place where earthenware is made; potter's workshop or factory
- the art or occupation of a potter; ceramics
- pots, bowls, dishes, etc. made of clay hardened by heat; earthenware
Origin: L Middle English poterye from Middle French poterie from potier, potter from pot, pot
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. pot·ter·ies
- Ware, such as vases, pots, bowls, or plates, shaped from moist clay and hardened by heat.
- The craft or occupation of a potter.
- The place where a potter works.
Origin: French poterie, from Old French, from potier, potter, from pot, pot; see potiche.