pole vaultpole vault
- an event in which the contestants take turns jumping for height over a horizontal bar set between two upright supports, with the aid of a long, flexible pole: the bar is gradually raised during the contest until a winner is determined
- a jump in such an event
Also Brit.pole jump
- A field event in which an athlete vaults over a high crossbar with the aid of a long pole.
- A vault made with the aid of a long pole.
(third-person singular simple present pole-vaults, present participle pole-vaulting, simple past and past participle pole-vaulted)
- (intransitive) To perform a pole vault
- To vault over something using a pole vault
(plural pole vaults)