- a transparent material containing embedded crystals capable of polarizing light: used in optics, photography, etc.
Origin of Polaroidshort for Polaroid Land Camera a camera that develops the film negative internally and produces a print within seconds after the process is initiated
- such a photograph
Origin of Polaroidpolar + -oid
- A trademark for a specially treated, transparent plastic capable of polarizing light passing through it, used in glare-reducing optical devices.
- A trademark for a camera and film that produce instant photographs.
- A sheet of plastic embedded with microscopic crystals of herapathite or similarly acting material, so that light passing through it is polarised.
- (dated, in the plural) Spectacles made with lenses of polaroid, once used to view certain 3-D movies.
- (in the plural) Polaroid sunglasses.
- A camera that develops its own film.
- A print from such a camera.
Genericization of the trademark Polaroid, owned by Polaroid Corporation.