phrasing definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the act or manner of formulating phrases; phraseology
- the manner in which one phrases musical passages
phrasing definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act of making phrases.
- The manner in which an expression is phrased.
- Music The manner in which a phrase is rendered or interpreted.
Variant of phrase
- a manner or style of speech or expression; phraseology
- a short, colorful or forceful expression
- a connected series of movements in a formal dance
- Gram. a sequence of two or more words conveying a single thought or forming a distinct part of a sentence but not containing a subject and predicate
- Linguis. a group of words that functions as a syntactic unit
- Music a short, distinct part or passage, usually of two, four, or eight measures
Origin: Classical Latin phrasis, diction ; from Classical Greek ; from phrazein, to speak