- a list of employees to be paid, with the amount due to each
- the total amount needed, or the money on hand, for this for a given period
also pay roll
- A list of employees receiving wages or salaries, with the amounts due to each.
- The total sum of money to be paid out to employees at a given time.
- A list of employees who receive salary or wages, together with the amounts due to each.
- The total sum of money paid to employees.
- (computing) The series of accounting transactions that ensure that employees are paid correctly, and that all taxes etc are properly deducted; the department in a company responsible for it.
- (euphemistic) Bribes paid to people
- 1957: I know that the deal started with the boys in Santiago, because they've been on the d'Anconia pay roll for centuries "” well, no, 'pay roll' is an honorable word, it would be more exact to say that d'Anconia Copper has been paying them protection money for centuries "” isn't that what your gangsters call it? - Francisco dAnconia, Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand.
- 1972: We can spread a rumor this cop was dirty. Look, Tom, we have newspaper people on the payroll, don't we? - Michael Corleone, The Godfather, Twentieth Century Fox.
(third-person singular simple present payrolls, present participle payrolling, simple past and past participle payrolled)
- To place on a payroll.