- a list of employees to be paid, with the amount due to each
- the total amount needed, or the money on hand, for this for a given period
also pay roll
- A list of employees receiving wages or salaries, with the amounts due to each.
- The total sum of money to be paid out to employees at a given time.
- A list of employees who receive salary or wages, together with the amounts due to each.
- The total sum of money paid to employees.
- (computing) The series of accounting transactions that ensure that employees are paid correctly, and that all taxes etc are properly deducted; the department in a company responsible for it.
- (euphemistic) Bribes paid to people
- 1957: I know that the deal started with the boys in Santiago, because they've been on the d'Anconia pay roll for centuries â€” well, no, 'pay roll' is an honorable word, it would be more exact to say that d'Anconia Copper has been paying them protection money for centuries â€” isn't that what your gangsters call it? - Francisco dAnconia, Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand.
- 1972: We can spread a rumor this cop was dirty. Look, Tom, we have newspaper people on the payroll, don't we? - Michael Corleone, The Godfather, Twentieth Century Fox.
(third-person singular simple present payrolls, present participle payrolling, simple past and past participle payrolled)
- To place on a payroll.