The patriarchal reign of King Henry VIII brought about the Protestant Reformation.
An example of patriarchal is England being run by King Henry the VIII.
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of a patriarch.
- Of or relating to a patriarchy: a patriarchal social system.
- Ruled by a patriarch: a patriarchal see.
(comparative more patriarchal, superlative most patriarchal)
patriarch +"Ž -al
- The second was patriarchal and of a strictly territorial nature.
- Nor did she neglect the scenes of patriarchal history.
- The badge is a green enamelled cross with gold borders, suspended from the Hungarian crown; the red enamelled medallion in the centre of the cross bears a white patriarchal cross issuing from a coroneted green mound; on either side of the cross are the letters M.T.
- The subject matter of ecclesiastical jurisdiction in Russia during the whole patriarchal period included matrimonial and testamentary causes, inheritance and sacrilege, and many questions concerning the Church domains and Church property, as well as spiritual offences of clergy and laity (ib.).
- Opinion is at variance regarding the patriarchal narratives as a whole.