The patriarchal reign of King Henry VIII brought about the Protestant Reformation.
An example of patriarchal is England being run by King Henry the VIII.
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of a patriarch.
- Of or relating to a patriarchy: a patriarchal social system.
- Ruled by a patriarch: a patriarchal see.
(comparative more patriarchal, superlative most patriarchal)
patriarch +"Ž -al
- The second was patriarchal and of a strictly territorial nature.
- Nor did she neglect the scenes of patriarchal history.
- The badge is a green enamelled cross with gold borders, suspended from the Hungarian crown; the red enamelled medallion in the centre of the cross bears a white patriarchal cross issuing from a coroneted green mound; on either side of the cross are the letters M.T.
- The Social or matriarchal took precedence of the Local or patriarchal organization.
- In 1587 the see of Moscow was raised to patriarchal rank with the consent of Constantinople, and the subsequent concurrence of Alexandria, Antioch and Jerusalem (ib.