Paper money from different countries.
- Cash in the form of banknotes.
- commodity money
Variant of money
nounpl. moneys or monies
- standard pieces of gold, silver, copper, nickel, etc., stamped by government authority and used as a medium of exchange and measure of value; coin or coinsalso called hard money
- any paper note issued by a government or an authorized bank and used in the same way; bank notes; billsalso called paper money
- standard pieces of gold, silver, copper, nickel, etc., stamped by government authority and used as a medium of exchange and measure of value; coin or coins
- any substance or article used as money, as bank notes, checks, etc.
- any definite or indefinite sum of money
- property; possessions; wealth
- very wealthy persons or groups
- any form or denomination of legally current money
- money of account
- money won as a prize
- sums of money
Origin of moneyOld French moneie ; from Classical Latin moneta, a mint
for one's money
have money to burn
in the moneySlang
- among the winners, as in a contest, race, etc.
- prosperous; wealthy; successful
one's money's worth
on the moneySlang
put money into
put money on