- The definition of overarching is forming an arch above or linking everything together.
- An example of overarching is a trellis of roses over a fence gate.
- An example of overarching is putting all the construction details into one report.
overarching definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- forming an arch above or overhead
- encompassing or linking all that is within its scope, range, etc.: an overarching theory, theme, etc.
overarching definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Forming an arch overhead or above: overarching branches.
- Extending over or throughout: “I am not sure whether the missing ingredient . . . is surprise or an overarching radiance” (John Simon).
- oˌver·archˈing·ly adverb