- The definition of overarching is forming an arch above or linking everything together.
- An example of overarching is a trellis of roses over a fence gate.
- An example of overarching is putting all the construction details into one report.
- forming an arch above or overhead
- encompassing or linking all that is within its scope, range, etc.: an overarching theory, theme, etc.
- Forming an arch overhead or above: overarching branches.
- Encompassing, extensive, or general: an overarching principle; an overarching theme.
- Present participle of overarch.