- The definition of out of pocket is something that you had to pay for yourself, expenses incurred that you were responsible for or money losses you had to bear.
When you go on a business trip but decide to take yourself out to dinner and pay on your own, the cost of the dinner is an example of an out of pocket expense.
designating unbudgeted expenses, or ready cash paid out, as for miscellaneous items
- Calling for the spending of cash: out-of-pocket expenses.
- Paid for out of one's own resources; not covered, shared, or reimbursed: out-of-pocket costs.
- Individually responsible for an amount of money: a company that is $10 million out-of-pocket for costs associated with the project.
- Lacking funds: hungry, cold, and out-of-pocket travelers.
- Alternative spelling of out of pocket.