When you go on a business trip but decide to take yourself out to dinner and pay on your own, the cost of the dinner is an example of an out of pocket expense.
- designating unbudgeted expenses, or ready cash paid out, as for miscellaneous items
- ⌂ designating expenses requiring payment from a person's own financial resources and not covered by insurance, an expense account, etc.
- Calling for the spending of cash: out-of-pocket expenses.
- Paid for out of one's own resources; not covered, shared, or reimbursed: out-of-pocket costs.
- Individually responsible for an amount of money: a company that is $10 million out-of-pocket for costs associated with the project.
- Lacking funds: hungry, cold, and out-of-pocket travelers.
- Alternative spelling of out of pocket.