- The definition of orthography is the practice of proper spelling, a way of spelling or a study of spelling.
An example of orthography is spelling definitely as "d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y."
orthography definition by Webster's New World
- spelling in accord with accepted usage
- any style or method of spelling
- spelling as a subject for study
- orthographic projection
Origin: Middle English ortografye ; from Middle French ortographie ; from Classical Latin orthographia ; from Gr: see ortho- and amp; -graphy
- orthographer noun
orthography definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. or·thog·ra·phies
- The art or study of correct spelling according to established usage.
- The aspect of language study concerned with letters and their sequences in words.
- A method of representing a language or the sounds of language by written symbols; spelling.
- or·thogˈra·pher, or·thogˈra·phist noun