- with reference to origin, or beginning
- in the first place; initially
- in an independent or new way
- An example of originally is in the first place you wanted to go to the movies, originally wanted to go.
- An example of originally is saying the movie opened with those two characters in a cafe, it originally opened.
Originally is defined as at first or at the beginning.
- With reference to origin: originally named Johnston.
- At first: not what I had originally expected.
- In a highly distinctive manner: interpreted the flute solo most originally.
- As it was in the beginning.
original +"Ž -ly
- The deity originally preordained to be his mate.
- "It's because he was originally human," Toby said.
- The city of Leon, founded by Francisco Hernandez de Cordova in 1523, was originally situated at the head of the western bay of Lake Managua, and was not removed to its present position till 1610.
- Martha, the little girl who originally told us about them, described them differently from what Fitzgerald found.
- He was originally the god of the small river of the same name near Celaenae, an old Phrygian town.