A bottle opener.
opener definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a person or thing that opens
- any of several devices for opening bottles, cans, etc.
- the first game in a series, the first act in a vaudeville show, etc.
- ☆ Poker cards of sufficient value to allow a player to open the betting
opener definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- One that opens, especially a device used to cut open cans or pry up bottle caps.
- Games a. The player who starts the betting in cards.b. openers Cards of sufficient value to enable the holder to open the betting.
- The first act in a theatrical variety show.
- Sports The first game in a series.
opener - Phrases/Idioms
Informal to begin with
To begin with: “Out of 54 potential jurors, they knocked 20 off . . . just for openers” (Joseph DiMona).