- a person or thing that opens
- any of several devices for opening bottles, cans, etc.
- the first game in a series, the first act in a vaudeville show, etc.
- ⌂ Poker cards of sufficient value to allow a player to open the betting
Informal to begin with
- One that opens, especially a device used to cut open cans or pry up bottle caps.
- Games a. The player who starts the betting in cards.b. openers Cards of sufficient value to enable the holder to open the betting.
- A remark that initiates a conversation.
- The first act in a theatrical variety show.
- Sports The first game in a series.
- A device that opens something; specifically a tin-opener/can-opener, or a bottle opener.
- (card games) The player who starts the betting.
- (card games) (in plural openers) Cards of sufficient value to enable a player to open the betting.
- (theater) The first act in a variety show.
- (Islam) Fatiha
- (cricket) A batsman who normally plays in the first two positions of an innings.
- (colloquial) The first in a series of events, items etc.; the first remark or sentence of a conversation.
- (sports) The first game played in a competition
- (sports) The first goal or point scored.
From open + -er.