- having no set limits as to duration, direction, amount, number, etc.; broad, unlimited, or unrestricted: an open-ended discussion
- open to change; allowing for modifications as things develop
- designating or of a question allowing for a freely formulated answer rather than one made by a choice from among predetermined answers
See open-ended in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- Not restrained by definite limits, restrictions, or structure.
- Allowing for or adaptable to change.
- Inconclusive or indefinite: “faintly bemused and uneasily open-ended about the whole horrible business” (Charles Michener).
- Allowing for a spontaneous, unstructured response: an open-ended question.
Learn more about open-ended