The definition of open-ended is no set limits or to be open to change.
An example of open-ended is a meeting agenda item with no specified time limit.
- having no set limits as to duration, direction, amount, number, etc.; broad, unlimited, or unrestricted: an open-ended discussion
- open to change; allowing for modifications as things develop
- designating or of a question allowing for a freely formulated answer rather than one made by a choice from among predetermined answers
- Not restrained by definite limits, restrictions, or structure.
- Allowing for or adaptable to change.
- Inconclusive or indefinite: “faintly bemused and uneasily open-ended about the whole horrible business” ( Charles Michener )
- Allowing for a spontaneous, unstructured response: an open-ended question.
- unrestricted by definite limits
- There will be an open-ended discussion.
- adaptable to change
- The topic is definitions, but is open-ended really.
- permitting a spontaneous or unstructured response
- I'll ask you an open-ended question.
- (poker) Of a straight draw, made up of four consecutive cards, thus able to be completed by either of two ranks of card.
- The flop of 3-6-Q gave Brunson an open-ended straight draw with his 4-5 of hearts.