The definition of an oligarchy is a government structure where a small and elite group have power.noun
- An example of an oligarchy is a society in which a small group of dictators is in charge of the country.
- The dictators themselves are also an example of an oligarchy.
noun pl. oligarchies
- a form of government in which the ruling power belongs to a few persons
- a state governed in this way
- the persons ruling such a state
Origin: Gr oligarchia: see olig(o)- & -archy
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. ol·i·gar·chies
- a. Government by a few, especially by a small faction of persons or families.b. Those making up such a government.
- A state governed by a few persons.
- olˌi·garˈchic, olˌi·garˈchi·cal adjective
oligarchy - Cultural Definition
A system of government in which power is held by a small group.