- An example of an oligarchy is a society in which a small group of dictators is in charge of the country.
- The dictators themselves are also an example of an oligarchy.
The definition of an oligarchy is a government structure where a small and elite group have power.
- a form of government in which the ruling power belongs to a few persons
- a state governed in this way
- the persons ruling such a state
Origin of oligarchyClassical Greek oligarchia: see olig(o)- and -archy
- a. Government by a few, especially by a small faction of persons or families.b. Those making up such a government.
- A state governed by a few persons.
- ol′i·gar′chic ol′i·gar′chi·cal