- The definition of a theocracy is a government or country that is ruled by someone who has religious authority or divine right.
An example of a theocracy is Vatican City.
- lit., the rule of a state by God or a god
- government by a person or persons claiming to rule with divine authority
- a country governed in this way
Origin of theocracyClassical Greek theokratia: see theo- and amp; -cracy
- Government ruled by or subject to religious authority.
- A country or state governed in this way.
theo- + -cracy, originally from Ancient Greek θεοκρατία (theokratia, “rule of (a) God”), a term coined in the 1st century by Josephus (Against Apion 2.17) in reference to the kingdom of Israel. Attested in English from the 1630s, first by John Donne in a 1631 sermon: The Jews were onely under a Theocratie, an immediate government of God.
theocracy - Legal Definition
- A country or state whose government derives its power directly from God or another divine spirit.
- A country or state in which government powers are vested in the clergy.