An example of a theocracy is Vatican City.
- government by a person or persons claiming to rule with divine authority
- a country governed in this way
Origin of theocracyClassical Greek theokratia: see theo- and amp; -cracy
- Government ruled by or subject to religious authority.
- A country or state governed in this way.
- sharia law
theo- +"Ž -cracy, originally from Ancient Greek Î¸ÎµÎ¿ÎºÏÎ±Ï„Î¯Î± (theokratia, “rule of (a) God"), a term coined in the 1st century by Josephus (Against Apion 2.17) in reference to the kingdom of Israel. Attested in English from the 1630s, first by John Donne in a 1631 sermon: The Jews were onely under a Theocratie, an immediate government of God.
theocracy - Legal Definition
- A country or state whose government derives its power directly from God or another divine spirit.
- A country or state in which government powers are vested in the clergy.