- The definition of a theocracy is a government or country that is ruled by someone who has religious authority or divine right.
An example of a theocracy is Vatican City.
theocracy definition by Webster's New World
noun pl. theocracies
- lit., the rule of a state by God or a god
- government by a person or persons claiming to rule with divine authority
- a country governed in this way
Origin: Classical Greek theokratia: see theo- and amp; -cracy
theocracy definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
noun pl. the·oc·ra·cies
- A government ruled by or subject to religious authority.
- A state so governed.
theocracy - Cultural Definition
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
theocracy - Legal Definition
- A country or state whose government derives its power directly from God or another divine spirit.
- A country or state in which government powers are vested in the clergy.