- a. Not connected to a central computer or computer network: offline computer terminals.b. Not accessible via a computer or computer network: offline medical records.
- Not in operation or production, especially as part of a supply chain: refineries that went offline during the hurricane.
- Conducted in private or without the knowledge of others: an offline conversation.
offline - Computer Definition
(1) Not connected to the Internet, online service or internal network. See offline file.
(2) Not connected to or not installed in the computer. If a terminal, printer or other device is physically connected to the computer, but is not turned on or in ready mode, it is considered offline. Disks and tapes that have been demounted and stored in the data library are also considered offline. Contrast with online.
(3) "Not with it." Slang for someone who is uninformed. See 404.
Variant of off-line
- designating or of equipment not directly connected to and controlled by the central processing unit of a computer
- not connected to, and therefore not ready to receive data from or transmit data to, a computer or computer network
- unavailable on, or not done through, the Internet or some other computer network