- Not under the control of a central computer, as in a manufacturing process or experiment.
- Not connected to a computer or computer network.
offline - Computer Definition
(1) Not connected to the Internet, online service or internal network. See offline file.
(2) Not connected to or not installed in the computer. If a terminal, printer or other device is physically connected to the computer, but is not turned on or in ready mode, it is considered offline. Disks and tapes that have been demounted and stored in the data library are also considered offline. Contrast with online.
(3) "Not with it." Slang for someone who is uninformed. See 404.
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
Variant of off-line
- designating or of equipment not directly connected to and controlled by the central processing unit of a computer
- not connected to, and therefore not ready to receive data from or transmit data to, a computer or computer network
- unavailable on, or not done through, the Internet or some other computer network
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.