designating, of, or produced in any theater located in New York City outside the main theatrical district and presenting professional productions that are often unconventional, experimental, low-cost, etc.
in an off-Broadway theater or theaters
off-Broadway theaters and their productions collectively
Also written Off Broadway
Theatrical work, often experimental and inexpensive, presented in New York City outside the Broadway entertainment district.
- Of or being such a theatrical work.
- Located outside the Broadway entertainment district.
- (often capitalized) In the New York City area, a small theater with fewer than 300 seats, or a production in such a theater, usually away from the "Broadway" theater district, which operates under special rules from the theatrical unions, which permits mounting productions at a much lower cost.
- Costs what they are, even Neil Simon premiered a play off-Broadway.
- Of or pertaining to an off-Broadway theater, or a production mounted in one.
- Little Shop of Horrors is probaby the most famous of the off-Broadway productions.