- (accounting) off the books, not officially recorded
- (theater) No longer needing the script to rehearse.
- After 5 days studying the script, Jane is now off book, and can concentrate on gesture more.
- "He will glibly parse a sentence ... and repeat the catechism and whole chapters of the Bible 'off book.'"
- 1993, Doug Moston, Coming to Terms with Acting, ISBN 0896761215, page 74:
- "In all likelihood, the director will leave you alone throughout the rest of the production and focus attention on the guy who isn't off book yet."
- "'So if Antigone wants to be off book, I think the rest of you should be off book too.'"
- below the list price
- on book