- Occlusion is defined as fitting together or obstructing.
- An example of an occlusion is when the top and bottom teeth fit together when the jaws are closed together.
- An example of an occlusion is when a blood vessel is blocked.
occlusion definition by Webster's New World
- an occluding or being occluded
- Dentistry the fitting together of the upper and lower teeth, or the way in which these fit together when the jaws are closed
- Meteorol. occluded front
- Phonet. the complete closing of the air passages in pronunciation, as of a stop
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- occlusive adjective
occlusion definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- a. The process of occluding.b. Something that occludes.
- Medicine An obstruction or a closure of a passageway or vessel.
- Dentistry The alignment of the teeth of the upper and lower jaws when brought together.
- Meteorology a. The process of occluding air masses.b. An occluded front.
- Linguistics Closure at some point in the vocal tract that blocks the flow of air in the production of an oral or nasal stop.
Origin: From Latin occlūsus, past participle of occlūdere, to occlude; see occlude.
occlusion - Medical Definition
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The act of occluding or the state of being occluded.
- An obstruction or closure of a body passage.
- Any contact between the cutting or chewing surfaces of opposing teeth.
- The alignment of the teeth of the upper and lower jaws when brought together.
- The absorption of a gas or other substance, as by a metal.
- The inclusion of one substance within another.
occlusion - Science Definition
- An obstruction in a passageway, especially of the body.
- The alignment of the upper and lower sets of teeth with each other.