- the act of obverting
- Logic the act of inferring the obverse
Origin of obversionLate Latin obversio ; from Classical Latin obversus: see obverse
- The process of obverting or the condition so resulting.
- Logic Inference of the obverse of a proposition.
(countable and uncountable, plural obversions)
- The act of turning toward or downward.
- (logic) An immediate inference that denies the opposite of something previously affirmed.
- All men are mortal, so, by obversion, no men are immortal.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
Latin obversio a turning towards.