- Numeral means relating to numbers.
An example of numeral used as an adjective is in the phrase "numeral equation" which means an equation that has numbers in it.
- The definition of a numeral is a figure or letter that represents a number.
An example of a numeral is 13.
Thirteen is a numeral.Licensed from iStockPhoto
Origin: LL numeralis from Classical Latin numerus, number
- a figure, letter, or a group of any of these, expressing a number
- the numerals of the year of graduation of one's class in college, high school, etc., awarded for participation in sports, activities etc.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A symbol or mark used to represent a number.
- numerals The numbers, usually the last two digits, indicating by year a graduating class in a school or college.
Origin: From Middle English, of number, from Late Latin numerālis, from Latin numerus, number; see number.
- nuˈmer·al·ly adverb
numeral - Cultural Definition
A word or symbol used to represent a number.
numeral - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.