- If your phone beeps when your email comes in, this is an example of a notification.
- If you receive a letter saying your electricity will be turned off if the overdue bill is not paid is an example of a notification.
- a notifying or being notified
- the notice given or received
- the letter, form, etc. used to convey such a notice
Origin of notificationMiddle English notificacioun ; from Middle French notification
- The act or an instance of notifying.
- Something, such as a letter, by which notice is given.
(countable and uncountable, plural notifications)
- (uncountable) The act of notifying.
- (countable) A specific piece of information that serves to notify.
notification - Computer Definition
An indicator that an event has occurred. Notifications are a major feature of smartphones and tablets, informing the user that an event such as a text message, e-mail, weather, news headline or social media update is now available on the device. By wrist vibration, they are also the primary attribute of smartwatches, providing a guaranteed alert when users' phones may be a few feet away. See notification fatigue and smartwatch.