Bats are nocturnal.
The definition of nocturnal is something that is active or happens during the night.
An example of a nocturnal animal is a bat.
- of, done, or happening in the night
- functioning or active during the night
- Bot. having blossoms that open at night
Origin of nocturnalLate Middle English ; from Late Latin nocturnalis ; from Classical Latin nocturnus ; from nox (gen. noctis), night
- Of, relating to, or occurring in the night: nocturnal stillness.
- Botany Opening at night. Used of flowers.
- Zoology Most active at night: nocturnal lizards.
Origin of nocturnalMiddle English, from Old French, from Late Latin nocturnālis, from Latin nocturnus, from nox, noct-, night; see nekw-t- in Indo-European roots.
- (of a person, creature, group, or species) Primarily active during the night.
- nocturnal birds
- (of an occurrence) Taking place at night.
- a suspicious nocturnal outing