The definition of nocturnal is something that is active or happens during the night.adjective
An example of a nocturnal animal is a bat.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- of, done, or happening in the night
- functioning or active during the night
- having blossoms that open at night, as some flowers
Origin: LME < LL nocturnalis < L nocturnus < nox (gen. noctis), night
- nocturnally adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of, relating to, or occurring in the night: nocturnal stillness.
- Botany Having flowers that open during the night.
- Zoology Most active at night: nocturnal animals.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin nocturnālis, from Latin nocturnus, from nox, noct-, night; see nekw-t- in Indo-European roots.
- noc·turˈnal·ly adverb
nocturnal - Medical Definition
- Of, relating to, or occurring in the night.
- Most active at night.
nocturnal - Science Definition
- Occurring at night.
- Most active at night. Many animals, such as owls and bats, are nocturnal.
- Having flowers that open during the night and close at daylight. Nocturnal plants are often pollinated by moths. Compare diurnal.
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.