- The definition of nocturnal is something that is active or happens during the night.
An example of a nocturnal animal is a bat.
Bats are nocturnal.
nocturnal definition by Webster's New World
- of, done, or happening in the night
- functioning or active during the night
- having blossoms that open at night, as some flowers
Origin: Late Middle English ; from Late Latin nocturnalis ; from Classical Latin nocturnus ; from nox (gen. noctis), night
- nocturnally adverb
nocturnal definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, relating to, or occurring in the night: nocturnal stillness.
- Botany Having flowers that open during the night.
- Zoology Most active at night: nocturnal animals.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin nocturnālis, from Latin nocturnus, from nox, noct-, night; see nekw-t- in Indo-European roots.
- noc·turˈnal·ly adverb
nocturnal - Medical Definition
- Of, relating to, or occurring in the night.
- Most active at night.
nocturnal - Science Definition
- Occurring at night.
- Most active at night. Many animals, such as owls and bats, are nocturnal.
- Having flowers that open during the night and close at daylight. Nocturnal plants are often pollinated by moths. Compare diurnal.