Variant of necessary
- that cannot be dispensed with; essential; indispensable: the nutriments necessary to life
- resulting from necessity; inevitable: a necessary result
- that must be done; mandatory; not voluntary
- not free to choose; compelled by circumstances: a necessary agent
- inherent in the situation; undeniable; unavoidable from the premises
- Archaic rendering some essential and intimate service
Origin: Middle English from Classical Latin necessarius from necesse, unavoidable, necessary from ne-, not plush cedere, to give way: see cede
- a necessary thing; thing essential to life, some purpose, etc.: often used in pl.
- Dialectal a privy or toilet
- Law those things essential to maintaining a dependent or incompetent in comfort and well-being
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.