- Nascent is defined as something that is just beginning.
A brand new company that is just opening is an example of a company that would be described as nascent.
A couple stand outside their nascent business.
- coming into being; being born
- beginning to form, start, grow, or develop: said of ideas, cultures, etc.
- Chem. designating or of the state of an element just released from a compound and having unusual chemical activity because atoms of the element have not combined to form molecules: nascent chlorine
Origin of nascentClassical Latin nascens, present participle of nasci, to be born: see genus
Origin of nascentLatin nāscēns, nāscent-, present participle of nāscī, to be born; see gen&schwa;- in Indo-European roots.
- Emerging; just coming into existence.
- India has a nascent space industry.
- Describing the state, aspect, or practice of an abstract concept.
- (chemistry) Of the state of an element at the time it is being generated from some compound or transitioning from one state to another; Newly released from a compound (especially Hydrogen) by a chemical reaction or electrolysis and possessing heightened reactivity; Newly synthesized (especially protein or RNA) by translation or transcription.
terms etymologically related to nascent
From Latin nascēns, present participle of nascor (“I am born”).