- The motherhouse is the founding house of a religious order, or the convent where the mother superior lives.
A monastery from which a religion was born and where the religious leaders now live is an example of a motherhouse.
motherhouse definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a monastery or other religious house from which one or more additional religious houses have been founded
- the headquarters of a religious community
motherhouse definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The convent in which the mother superior of a religious community lives.
- The original convent of a religious community.