- The definition of monolingual is someone who speaks only one language, or something that is available in only one language.
- A person who only speaks English is an example of someone who ismonolingual.
- A book written only in English is an example of a book that would be described asmonolingual.
- Monolingual is defined as a person who only speaks one language.
A person who speaks only English is an example of amonolingual.
monolingual definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- of or in one language
- using or knowing only one language
Origin: mono- plush lingual
monolingual definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Using or knowing only one language.
- monˌo·linˈgual noun
- monˌo·linˈgual·ism noun