- The definition of a microscope is an instrument with lenses which is used to make really small objects look bigger by magnifying them.
The tool used by scientists to look at really small bacteria that they need to magnify is an example of a microscope.
One type of microscope.
Origin of microscopeModern Latin microscopium: see micro- and amp; -scope
- An optical instrument that uses a lens or a combination of lenses to produce magnified images of small objects, especially of objects too small to be seen by the unaided eye.
- An instrument, such as an electron microscope, that uses electronic or other processes to magnify objects.
Origin of microscopeItalian microscopio or New Latin mīcroscopium (Italian, from New Latin); see Microscopium.
- An optical instrument used for observing small objects.
- Any instrument for imaging very small objects (such as an electron microscope).